Protect Yourself From Influenza With Fluquadri Vaccine Injection
What is Influenza?
Influenza is a viral infectious disease that attacks the human respiratory system - nose, throat and lungs. The symptoms of this disease are usually nonspecific and are often taken lightly as a common cold. Symptoms of this viral infection may include:
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain
- Nasal congestion and sneezing
This viral infection can also be serious when it causes lung infections, known as Pneumonia. Patients with pneumonia will have difficulty in breathing due to poor lung function and may lead to death.
Influenza virus is a more subtle organism than bacteria. It is easily spread through liquid droplets either from saliva or runny nose when coughing or sneezing, especially if you are not wearing face masks or standing too close with other people during a conversation.
The rate of spread of influenza virus can occur in a short time and can lead to epidemics such as bird flu in 2004 and swine flu in 2009. This proves that influenza needs to be taken seriously.
Types of Influenza
There are 4 types of influenza viruses that are currently identified, which are:
- Influenza virus A
- Influenza virus B
- Influenza virus C
- Influenza virus D
Each type of influenza is also divided into their respective subtypes, for example, H1N1 known as swine flu belongs to the Influenza virus A.
What is the FluQuadri Vaccine?
There are many types of influenza vaccines on the market including the FluQuadri vaccine, Flubio vaccine and also the Vaxigrip vaccine.
FluQuadri is one of the latest influenza vaccines containing 4 subtypes of viruses that have been weakened to build antibodies, to fight and protect the body from the viral subtypes of Influenza A, Influenza B, Influenza C, and Influenza D.
In contrast to the Vaxigrip vaccine which is also an influenza vaccine, it has only 3 types of viral subtypes compared to FluQuadri vaccine that give protection against the 4 strains of virus.
The effectiveness of vaccines in treating influenza is undeniable. Vaccination is an effective invention to protect humans from infectious disease. Think you know about vaccines? Find out here.
According to data released by the World Health Organization (WHO), deaths caused by Influenza and pneumonia have reached 13,913 or 9.88% of total deaths in 2018.
This figure is likely to increase in the future if the influenza vaccine is not utilized more comprehensively by the community. Due to the rapid rate of influenza mutations, influenza vaccines are renewed twice a year to ensure that the vaccines released are suitable for the current virus.
Who Should Get FluQuadri Vaccine?
Here is a table of suggestions for the FluQuadri vaccine for adults and infants aged 6 months and above according to the prescribed dose.
6 months - 35 months
One or two doses, 0.25ml each
If two doses, the injection must be 1 month apart
36 months - 8 years
One or two doses, 0.5ml each
If two doses, the injection must be 1 month apart
9 years and above
One dose, 0.5ml
Dosage depends on prior vaccination and according to KKM stipulations
This vaccine will be injected into:
- Deltoid muscle (shoulder) for adults and children of 1 year and above
- Right thigh for babies (6 months - 12 months)
Can breastfeeding and pregnant women get the FluQuadri vaccine?
FluQuadri vaccine is not suitable for breastfeeding women.
As for pregnant women, this vaccine is not harmful to pregnancy. Studies show that the injection of this vaccine into female rabbits does not affect pregnancy. However, pregnant women should talk to their gynecologist before taking any injections or medication during pregnancy.
This vaccine also does not affect female fertility.
Conditions for taking injections and patient exemptions for the FluQuadri vaccine
- Vaccine recipients must be in good health, have no fever or any symptoms of inflammation such as: cold, cough or weakness.
- This vaccine cannot be taken by patients who have a history of allergies to any influenza vaccine or FluQuadri vaccine component which is an egg-based product. This is because FluQuadri is produced from influenza viruses that are bred in the chicken embryo.
- Patients who once had a record Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) are advised to be excluded from this vaccine for fear of re-triggering the disease.
- For people with chronic diseases of immunocompromised conditions like Diabetes or HIV are encouraged to receive vaccine injections even though antibody reactions may be low.
- This injection is recommended for senior citizens aged 65 and above even though antibody responses may be low.
- People with blood diseases such as hemophilia and thrombocytopenia might not accept this vaccine or any other vaccine because the injection will cause tissue bleeding from within ( hematoma) except with the recommendation of a doctor who has performed a thorough examination.
- Injection should be given while sitting and in a comfortable position to avoid patients from fainting, which have been reported in some cases.
FluQuadri Side Effects
Side effects of FluQuadri vaccine may include:
- Red skin
- Swelling or bruising at the injection site . This effect is actually normal for any procedure involving a needle.
- Muscle pain
- Body shivering
It is not something to worry about if the symptoms are not prolonged.
The more serious side effects are:
- Muscle paralysis on one side of the face
- Blurred vision
- Numbness in the hands and feet
- Cannot move limbs especially patients with GBS (Guillain Barre Syndrome)
- Severe allergies
- Swollen glands
Please refer to the nearest hospital for further treatment immediately if you experience the above symptoms.
Although injections of this vaccine have side effects, they are actually very rare. Taking this vaccination is highly recommended because the benefits are enormous compared to the risk of side effects of this vaccine injection.
Is FluQuadri Vaccine Expensive?
In 2020, the price of the FluQuadri vaccine and previous vaccine generation is higher than Vaxigrip because it has 4 types of virus strains that are weakened to provide more protection and lower the risk of influenza infection. In 2015, most markets sold the FluQuadri vaccine at RM43 - RM50. However, the price of this vaccine has soared to RM75 - RM100 or more due to the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) infection.
The FluQuadri vaccine and other influenza vaccines are the alternatives to curb deaths due to these viral infectious diseases every year around the world. Without any vaccination, we will see the situation as this epidemic of COVID-19. Therefore, for those who can afford it, taking this vaccine is highly recommended to provide protection to yourself and your family from the influenza virus throughout the year. Speak to a doctor to know more about influenza vaccines!
*The free doctor consult initiative is supported and fully funded by DoctorOnCall