Our panel of doctors at DoctorOnCall

Dr Sashini Seeni

General Health

Dr M Ramzdhan

General Health

Dr Nathaniel Ho

General Health

Dr Rashid Khan

General Health

Dr Nurhayati

General Health

Dr Sri Viknarajan

General Health

Dr Fatahiyah

General Health

Dr Nur Syuhada

General Health

Dr Lee Chin Meng

General Health

Dr Mohamad Kashfi

General Health

English and Malay
Our doctors can help you in both languages
Accredited Doctors
All doctors at DoctorOnCall are registered with Health Ministry of Malaysia
Privacy Guaranteed
Your data is safe and will not be revealed to any parties
Quick and Efficient
All queries will be answered by doctors in a quick and efficient manner
*This is a public forum. Please do not put any personal information such as phone numbers, emails as it will be publicly visible
Submit Anonymously

Give a title to your health problem
*Title must be more than 20 characters
Explain in detail what health problem you're having
*Explanation must be more than 20 characters
Please enter your email address so we can send you answer to your question

Malaysia's #1
Health Forum

Mumps with heavy menses and hypertension

Answered by: Dr Nur Syuhada binti Zulkifli

Last Updated: November 26, 2019 9:56 AM
Anonymous 11 months

I’m on day 3-4 having mumps. Have not gone to the clinic but have been taking paracetamol on schedule to reduce fever and taking my own temperature reading. Have been quarantine myself at home as well.

My questions are, do I still need to go to the clinic/ED that today I started feeling whole body ache especially on lower back, and that I almost fainted after shower this afternoon?

I’ve been having heavy menses, and today is on day 9. It’s been particularly heavy for the past 3 days (with blood clots and regular pad changing).

This heavy menses started around late June and I suspect that I may have iron deficiency anemia due to this, which I believe may have led to my hypertension.

I have told the GP at a clinic I went to last month when I had prolonged cough (2 weeks long, after a 3 days fever earlier on). The doctor dismissed me by saying that I couldn’t have such high BP reading if I’m anaemic.

The doctor however, did wrote a reference letter for me to go to any hospital instead to have further check up on my BP. Being sceptical of more doctors treating me like I’m someone else’s problem, I’m reluctant to go to the hospital now.

Could you suggest a home treatment instead for the mumps and to reduce the hypertension? I may provide my BP reading regularly if it means I dont need to go to the hospital and may take medication at home.

To note, my father-in-law was a research doctor in IMR and brother-in-law currently doing his housemen. So if course of treatment could be given to me with their observation, I may as well consider that.

Also, as a woman living separately with my husband, I dont have a stable source of income, in which also makes me reluctant to go to hospital with little to no financial aid for extra expenditure as hospital bill.

Dr Nur Syuhada binti Zulkifli 11 months
General Practitioner

Greetings, thank you for your question.

The answer is a general description of the problem you’re having. Please click on this link (DoctorOnCall) to speak with us.

Based on the above information, we understand your concern about the problem you’re having. To answer your concern, it is important that you pay a visit to your doctor if you have mumps. This is because there are other medical conditions that may mimics mumps such as lymphadenitis, bacterial infections, mastoiditis or even tumor. A doctor in charge have the right to diagnose which medical problem you are having and give the suitable treatment for the problems.

Regarding the heavy menses, please note that the complaint is rather subjective due to lack of a standard unit given. To better understand the problem, it is best that you explain the bleeding in terms of amount of blood in ml if possible or by the frequency of the need to change your pad. For your knowledge too, anemia does not comes together with hypertension in young females. Treatment of hypertension requires a prescription drug from a doctor. The medication is not available over the counter.

Therefore, to consult a doctor on both of your problems, please click on the link (DoctorOnCall) to contact your doctor or on the link (DoctorOnCallEPharma) to speak with our pharmacist online. We will protect your privacy. Thank you.


Last Updated: Tue Nov 26 2019 09:56:12 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Online Consultation
Talk to a doctor or Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Specialist online about irregular periods from anywhere you are without having to queue anymore
Doctor Consult RM19.99 Specialist Consult From RM80
FREE Detailed Health Assessment
Prevention is better than cure. Is My Body Ready to Fight Infection? Find Out in only 5 short minutes!
Start FREE Health Assessment
Ask Doctor For Free 10.10 Health Fest: RM10 off!