Ask Doctor

Malaysia's #1
Health Forum

She feels that she is having gastric

Answered by: Dr Sri Viknarajan

Last Updated: June 10, 2019 6:45 AM

andrew 18 months

Im asking this for my friend actually, these two days when she woke up, she feels that she is having gastric, and also the feeling of vomiting, previous days didnt have such problem, just started two days ago

Dr Sri Viknarajan 18 months
General Practitioner
  • Hi there! Thank you for the question. It is apparent that you are worried about your friend’s condition. There are many reason which can cause your condition but it is most likely she is experiencing food poisoning or also known as gastroenteritis. She could have gotten affected with gastroenteritis through someone who had the virus or through consuming contaminated water or food.

  • The most common cause of gastroenteritis is a virus and the main types are rotavirus and norovirus. Bacteria such as E. coli and salmonella can also cause gastroenteritis. Salmonella and campylobacter bacteria are the most common bacterial causes of gastroenteritis in the asia. Campylobacter are usually spread by undercooked poultry, eggs, or poultry juices, while Salmonella can also be spread through pet reptiles or live poultry.

  • Symptoms of gastroenteritis includes diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, headache, muscle aches, or joint aches, fever or chills, sweating or clammy skin, abdominal cramps and pain and loss of appetite. It usually begins one or two days after the infection. These symptoms can last anywhere from 1 to 10 days depending on the individual’s immune system.

  • The main focus of treatment is to prevent dehydration by drinking plenty of fluids and she can drink 100+ as it will also give her energy and prevent dehydration. It also important to eat food that will not cause stomach upset such as rice, potatoes, toast and banana.

  • Try avoiding food such as high-fat foods, caffeine, alcohol, sugary foods and dairy products as it can cause further stomach upset. If her condition does not improve and she is feeling tired or lethargic then it is advisable to consult a doctor. All the best!

Last Updated: Mon Jun 10 2019 06:45:52 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Online Consultation
Talk to a doctor or Specialist online about general health from anywhere you are without having to queue anymore
Doctor Consult RM19.99 Specialist Consult From RM80
FREE Detailed Health Assessment
Prevention is better than cure. Is My Body Ready to Fight Infection? Find Out in only 5 short minutes!
Start FREE Health Assessment
Lumps in my inner mouth, red red abit Hi, there is lumps in my mouth for more than 6 months. However, I do not experience any pain from it. Please advise Read more...
32 days
Any method to prevent lazy eyes become serious I’m 21 years old female. My right eye has shortsighted 350, but left eye don’t have short sighted. I heard people said this is lazy eyes and will cause cross eyes problem and affect my appearanc… Read more...
8 days
Chest & stomach discomfort for the past week I’m 26, female. Since last week I’ve been experiencing chest tightness / numb / pain. I went to hospital and ER, both time they told me it’s gastric problem. I almost finish my meds but since ye… Read more...
4 days
Can we buy Olanzapine My son is having depression for 1 over year and had consulted Physcatric doctor and taking olanzapine these 1 yr+. Now as he is improving, so the doctor also reduce his intake. As we need to go … Read more...
11 days
Any ways to increase height? I’m a 17-year-old male and I’m only 1.55m. Is there any way for me to gain height or is it impossible since I hit puberty a few years ago? Read more...
10 days