ePharmacy Latest Promotion Consult a Specialist
Need Help?
Malaysia's #1
Health Forum

Mental and attitude problem issues

Answered by: Dr Nur Syuhada binti Zulkifli

Last Updated: March 18, 2022 9:41 AM
Anonymous 4 months

My son is 17 years old and this few months he seem to easily getting hot tempered. I plan to bring him to see doctor for therapy. Do you think this sign is enough to be my reason for getting a treatment for him. I am worried about his mental issue as he not able to control his anger and frustration. Really need your opinion before i bring him to see doctor and i also worried if this attitude continuesly to happens. Thank you.

Dr Nur Syuhada binti Zulkifli 4 months
General Practitioner

Hello and good morning.
Thank you for your question.

Based on your question, I understand that you are worried about your son. I will try to help you.

Based on your description, he seems to be struggling with handling his emotions. This can be due to a few things:

  • Difficulty adjusting to school / home environment
  • Struggle with self-identity and self-image
  • Puberty - hormonal changes can cause emotional dysregulation
  • High stress levels
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Other mental health issues such as depression or anxiety

While it is good that you’re taking action to help your son by planning a doctor’s trip for him, it is important as his family to communicate with him in a way that can connect with him on a personal level. It is helpful to lend him a listening ear if he’s willing to open up about any possible struggles he’s facing and be supportive about it to assure him that he has a safe space to feel secure at home.

He may benefit from counselling sessions to learn coping mechanisms and how to regulate and process his emotions in a safe and healthy manner. As his family, if he is more comfortable to share his struggles and situation with the doctor in private, I would suggest assuring him and giving him that privacy during the consultation to help him in the long run.

I highly recommend that you speak with him prior to arranging the doctor’s appointment and if he has any preferred doctor that he’s more comfortable with to visit and share his condition with.

He may also explore some anonymous emotional support hotlines to speak about his feelings or struggles as talking about it can help relieve some pent up frustration:


  • Hotline numbers:
    KL: 03-7956 8145 (24 hours)
    Ipoh: 05-547 7933 (4pm to 11pm)
    Penang: 04-281 5161 (3pm to midnight)
  • E-Mail: sam@befrienders.org.my
  • Website: https://www.befrienders.org.my/

In order for us to provide you with an accurate diagnosis of your son’s situation and further management, we will need additional details to explore the condition.

Therefore, I strongly encourage you to consult a doctor for proper treatment. You can also contact our doctor with your son online for further information and management.

I hope this answer helps you. Thank you.

Click here to speak to a doctor


Last Updated: Fri Mar 18 2022 09:41:23 GMT+0800 (Malaysia Time)
COVID-19 Test And Vaccine
See all coronavirus COVID-19 test service providers in Malaysia. PCR/RTK test at home, clinic, drive through or to your premises.
COVID-19 Test From RM70 COVID-19 Vaccine From RM109
Do you know that your immune system plays role in the effectiveness of vaccines?
Prevention is better than cure. Is My Body Ready to Fight Infection? Find Out in only 5 short minutes!
Start FREE Health Assessment Health Screening From RM100
Health Screening Delivered!
Perform health screening from the comfort of you home! Results in 2 days.
Order Blood Test
Online Consultation
Talk to a doctor or specialist online about mental health from anywhere you are without having to queue anymore
Doctor Consult RM19.99 Specialist Consult From RM80

Top Questions